Thursday 1 March 2012

We Need to Talk About Kevin

On Tuesday I watched the film 'We Need to Talk about Kevin'.
I vaguely remember reading the novel yet by the end of the film I began to doubt whether I ever did read the novel.
I was slightly confused. The filming technique is raw and morbid as is the case with these really poignant films.
I adore Tilda Swinton and she did a good job in this film as did John C Reilly as usual.
The actual film didnt really fill me with as much sadness as I expected. It's a very specific story about a mother who isnt naturally able to have maternal love for her child but also about a child who is disturbed. The relationship between Kevin and his mother is explored in fragmented scenes which show his calculated hatred, his depression and his need to do harm and his mother's reaction to all of this.

The film itself was ok. The acting was fantastic but for me it just didnt have the impact I expected.
The physical climax of all Kevin's disturbia is violent and shocking. This, for me, ruins the film because the real thoughtfulness is in the quiet moments of disturbed behaviour that one encounters. Swinton's performance is truly amazing in those quiet moments that show her despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment