Sunday 18 March 2012

Impromptu Tacos and a pint of Guiness.

Recently I've been the brunt of my friend's jokes about being a premature senior citizen because i never go out anymore. So this weekend I decided to be spontaneous and do everything I used to when I was still far from the brink of 25. As you can see I am indeed having a quarter life crisis!

So instead of our planned itenerary of going for a quiet movie and coffee. I decided to drag my best friend to a tiny Mexican place that I've never been to before but have driven past many times. The fact that there were no other customers didnt dissuade us or that I got the feeling that the waiter didnt really care about anything we were saying. He just nodded at everything. My initial impression of this place wasnt great because their lime margarita tasted like frozen sea water but I was really suprised that the food was that good. We started with chilli poppers which are battered and fried jalepeno chillies, stuffed with chicken and cheese. For mains I had a crunch chicken taco which was awesome but the Mexican rice on the side was literally out of this world. My friend had the chicken fajitas which were also really good, just spicy enough and incredibly cheesy, melty and delicious.

So after this feast and also as part of my spontaneous streak we ended up going to a pub in Parkhurst, not realising it was St Patrick's day. The pub was packed, smoky and loud, everything I've been avoiding since I started feeling old. It took me awhile to acclimatise myself  but eventually I got back into the swing of things. I drank Guiness and Kilkenny which on any other day but St Paddy's day I hate but went down really smooth that night. As bustling and noisy as the pub was it was awesome! I love being South African, everyone is so friendly and chatty and anyone can claim to be one eighth Irish for St Paddy's day and you'd never even know.

I got home exhausted because this is the most I've done in a long time but seriously very fulfilled.
Impromptu nights are the best nights. You're never dressed right but eventually you don't care, you can't be disappointed because there was no expectation of anything to begin with. But those are the nights where everything just seems to go so right.

No comments:

Post a Comment