Wednesday 21 November 2012

The New Normal

Everyone that knows me well knows that I love my cat to the point of obsession. My latest pre-occupation is that he has a little cat girlfriend who comes to visit him at our house. Her name is Muffin, she has long smoky grey fur and blue eyes, she's the perfect little lady. Very fastidious, very dainty, she never meows loudly, mostly just purs. When she comes over my cat, Jesse allows her to eat his food, they run around together, lie next to eachother, stroking eachother's faces, they nuzzle and nose kiss. Recently I witnessed the disturbing sight of Jesse actually mounting Muffin but I wasn't too worried because Jesse's neutered so no risk of unwanted pregnancy.

This morning while cleaning up I found Muffin's collar under our veggie rack. The owner's details were written on the collar so I decided to return it to them. On seeing the collar they were really grateful and Muffin's owner exclaimed "Ohmigosh! thanks! i was looking everywhere for it. I didnt know where he'd lost it!"
I'm sorry, come again? "HE"!!!!
This whole time Muffin was actually a boy and that means my kitten is a homosexual! This is not some kind of deal breaker for me but it is a shock! I didnt even know animals could be gay!
But I've been researching homosexual animals and it turns out that over 1500 animal species practice homosexual or bisexual relationships. Amazon River dolphins sometimes penetrate other males' blowholes! Male bonobo apes practice mastrubation orgies amongst the males and also amongst females. I've always been fascinated by spotted hyenas which comprise a matriarchal society in which the leader is a female with an enlarged clitoris which serves the purpose of being a fake penis. This fake penis then makes her the 'top dog' essentially hyenas are a lesbian society. Some research has found that homosexuality in animals could be caused by lower levels of testosterone in males and higher levels in females. This could explain Jesse and Muffin, Jesse was neutered when he was very young and probably hasn't been producing optimum levels of testosterone but his physique disagrees, he's an extremely big and muscular cat and a killing machine!

But  I don't really believe it is a question of hormones. I think its a question of choice. If so many animals practice homosexual behaviour by choice, that we know of, why are we so determined to explain homosexual behaviour in humans surely its nature. Most birds form mating pairs for life and of these atleast 5% are homosexual. Single females often lay their eggs in homosexual couple's nests and the homosexual couple raises the chicks! It reminds me of Ryan Murphy's new sitcom 'The New Normal'.

Either way I guess what I'm trying to say is that eventhough it was a shock to find out that my baby's gay. I'm happy for him and I think it's totally natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment