Friday 2 November 2012

Anti-Christ : "I should have rented Minotaur"

My local video store had a special for halloween, rent a new release and get a horror for free. There were grannies poring over the synopses of 'The Devil's Rejects' and 'Zombie Cannibal Holocaust'. I had already chosen 'the last exorcism' and was now deciding between 'Minotaur' and lars von Trier's 'Anti-Christ'.
 I had always wanted to watch 'Anti-Christ' but after watching the trailer found myself too scared to even try. The plus of 'Minotaur' was that Tom Hardy is in it.

I decided on Anti-Christ.
First we watched 'The Last Exorcism' which was really good until the end which unravelled and seemed like an anti-climax. Then we decided to try Anti-christ. The prologue is enough to unsettle you, a baby falling from an open window while his unattractive parents in the form of Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg bang the hell of eachother (I saw a real penis go into a real vagina!). The grieving couple then go to an isolated cabin in the scariest woods I've ever seen, they put shelter mountain inn to shame! Dafoe puts his wife through a series of gruelling and frankly abusive therapy sessions untiln she eventually embraces the savagery of nature to such an extent that she snaps, crushes his testicles with a block of wood, jerks him off until he ejacultes blood then bolts him to the ground so that he won't leave her. After that you'd have thought he was dead but no. He drags himself into a foxhole symbolising a vagina, is betrayed by a blackbird then eventually has to lie next to his maddened wife as she performs genital mutilation on herself with a pair of scissors. Eventually he runs away only to look back and see an army of face-less women chasing him up the mountain.




If this seems like the ravings of a madman , it is! Lars von Trier is a crazy person, I say this endearingly because i'm actually a fan but this film goes too far. I feel like its saying too little for the film that it is. The savagery seems unfounded. I read that von Trier was coming out of a period of depression when he wrote the film and it is a clear to see. The mood of the film goes from sombre, to morbid to gloomy to sheer terror.

My opinion, watch the film and make up your own mind- just be prepared beforehand, I couldn't have imagined watching the film without having looked up the plot on wikipedia first.

No comments:

Post a Comment