Thursday 16 October 2014

Steaking a claim

Ever since Food Network first reached South Africa's TV screens I've been dying to try a Philadelphia Cheesesteak. What more can a person ask for? Meat, bread and lots of gooey, melting cheese! Today my dream came true. I tried out the new Philly  Cheesesteak Company on Main Road in what can be called Bryanston but is really borderline Randburg CBD. It was everything I thought it would be, molten cheese, strips of succulent steak in a crusty roll, the grilled peppers were a suprise but added a bit of spiciness and sweetness. The chips were sensational, definitely handcut, thick, crispy but substantial.  I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have any juices because the menue promised grapefruit, carrot and orange, watermelon and apple and ginger and beetroot. I ordered a Cheddar Cheesesteak with cheese whizz and medium chips which were a really big portion. It all came to R50.



Do not be fooled by the strange locations of the Philly Cheesesteak Company's stores, Randburg CBD and the almost defunkt World Wear Centre in Fairland do not spell trendy. The exterior of the store belies the inviting interior with wooden tables and American themed artwork. It also really impressed  me that the cashier had such an immense knowledge of the brand and made really informed menu choices. He seemed to have a real passion for the food.

The franchise is opening a new store in Newtown soon and I really hope people try it out. I want Philly Cheesesteak Company to be a lasting thing, since I've already decided its going to become one of my favourite takeaways.

No comments:

Post a Comment